Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Lovely Bones


When I first saw the previews for this movie, I decided it was not foremost on my must see list.  However, I watched it the other day and was happy to note this film had neither the gore nor the violence I expected.  Rather, it is the tale of a 14-year old girl, Suzie Salmon, who is murdered and the desperation of her parents, particularly her father, to find the killer. Between heaven and earth, Suzie watches over her family, seeing their anguish, and her killer.  She watches him, after 11 months, feel safe.  Suzie must decide between her desire for revenge and her wish for her family to find peace.  Her choice can help her move on beyond this transitory phase.

Based on the novel  by Alice Sebold, The Lovely Bones was nominated for and received a Critics Choice Award for Best Young Actor/Actress as well as nominations for Best Cinematography, Best Supporting Actor, Oscar, and Saturn to name a few.  This movie is directed by Peter Jackson and stars Mark Wahlberg as Jack Salmon, Rachel Weisz as Abigail Salmon, Saoirse Ronan as Suzie Salmon, and Stanley Tucci as Mr. Harvey.


This is a thought-provoking film about life, death, revenge and finding peace.  At times heart-wrenching, it is a good 2 hours spent.  However I would not recommend  family viewing;  parents strongly cautioned due to the subject matter.  Good for an evening rental.   I wouldn't add this to my collection.  As a rental, I rate this movie 4/5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment