Friday, January 7, 2011

RED - movie review


Starring; Bruce Willis as Frank, Helen Mirren as Victoria and Morgan Freeman as Joe.
Also starring:  Karl Urban, Mary-Louise Parker, Richard Dreyfuss and Brian Cox
Adaptation of the DC Comics graphic novel by Warren Ellis and Cully Hammer.
Directed by Robert Schwentke
Opened in theatres October 2010



My husband and a couple of my adult sons saw this movie last fall and raved about it!  They built it up so much that I just had to go see it.  So we all went to the theatre during Christmas break, which is tradition for us, and saw the film at Movies 12.

All the hype that one hears about a movie usually results in a let down.  Right?  Well, this was no different.  It was good, fairly clean, full of action and funny.  Sounds good?  The problem is, it wasn't memorable.  The audience doesn't develop an affinity for the characters, with the possible exception of Frank, played by Bruce Willis.

RED is a well done adaptation of the comic graphic novel.  Four retired CIA agents with a hit on their lives band together to uncover the conspiracy and those behind it.  There ensues bombings, Frank's house is obliterated, and so begins Frank's journey to gather together his old comrades to even the score.  A few twists and turns, more bombs and shootings and some good special effects later brings the movie to a somewhat comedic ending. 

RED is a good night out at the movies or a good DVD/Blu Ray rental.  I personally wouldn't buy it on DVD, but I'm sure my husband will, if he remembers this one.  Did I say it is not very memorable? See what you think.

Rated 3.5/5  Violence is quite graphic.

1 comment:

  1. There are so many movies that I know I have seen over the years, but I can't remember anything about them at all. I guess 'they don't make 'em like they used to'!

    ReplyDelete