Thursday, March 4, 2010

Nights in Rodanthe on DVD

"It's never too late for a second chance" (movie tag line)

Picture an inn on the Outer Banks.  Imagine seclusion.  Peace.  Soul searching. 

Picture a white sandy beach, waves lapping the shore and an encroaching storm.  Picture two individuals, both troubled by inner turmoil, alone together in the remote inn and facing a raging hurricane.

Nicholas Sparks is one of my favorite authors and so you can imagine my excitement upon discovering this movie based on his book!  Diane Lane and Richard Gere, both exceptional actors in their own right, play the lead characters: Paul a noted surgeon estranged from his family and Adriene a recently separated mother of two.  Adriene is looking after the eclectically decorated inn for a friend and has but one guest, Paul.  A romance ensues after a somewhat rocky start as they each struggle with their own inner storms.

A good premise indeed. Now I don't want to come off pessimistic here and perhaps it was the script, but the story seemed to drag on and I admit I dozed off and woke just in time to see Diane's character Adriene become the recipient of Paul's (Richard Gere) best loved belongings, all in one box and delivered by his son.  What did I miss?  Today, perhaps, I will revisit Nights in Rodanthe to ascertain if what I missed was worth a few minutes sleep.  I will get back to you on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment